6/25/2011

A Coffee-to-go

Sometimes when I see these people on the streets, highly fashionable holding onto their "coffee-to-go", I wonder if that drink's name was not meant like "a coffee you buy on your way as you go" but more a sort of "coffee you buy 'to be able to walk'". A coffee to make you go. 
Now you're probably asking yourself why I would think that way.
It's very simple: Look around you at the passers-by. Don't they look like their plastic mugs of coffee keep them walking? Like it is their way to keep the balance? To me they do. I look into their faces and it is like I see their eyes searching through my gaze, as if they are scared to find a need in mine.  A need for THEIR coffee.
I certainly can assure you, coffee drinkers out there, that I do not want any of your good-smelling but bitter-tasting treasure. To put it in my own words: I drink tea.
And it depends on my mood which sort of tea I make for myself.  
There is no milk I add or a load of sugar to put into it. One more advantage to coffee: If you are careful about what sort you choose, you can enjoy the taste without nights full of staring at your walls. 
Be it coffee or tea, you get them at every corner shop or big brand cafè (I won't go into detail naming any of those fashionable shops). Surely everybody, the coffee junkies especially, know what - or better said which shop I am meaning. I do prefer to go into tea lounges, too.
But when it comes to my favourite shop, there's one answer I can give you: Home. 
Simple. Easy. Cozy. 
 

1 Kommentar:

  1. Dear Alex,
    You are drawing a picture in my mind about people controlled not only by their coffee-to-go but by the ritual meaning of the very first coffee of a coffee-drinker's day, too.
    This picture shows an army of pupils, young students and business people behaving like zombies, protecting the rests of their (as you wrote "good-smelling but bitter-tasting") brains in hands.
    The early coffee-to-go seems to me like some kind of mystirious voodoo-ritual I never understood or believed in:
    At first you run around, driven by a zombie-like thirst for the first coffee-to-go, trying to get the sub, the bus or the cab. After tasting it, they are not driven by the thirst anymore but by coffein - still zombie-like, but even faster.
    I like the funny but thought-provoking style you write down your interesting observations of everyday life.
    Keep it up, ALex!

    AntwortenLöschen